Rask's 9th Career Shutout, Bruins Blank Kings 3-0
The Boston Bruins, depleted roster and all, took on the Los Angeles Kings for the first of two meetings this season on Tuesday night. The B's played a well-rounded game and knocked off the Kings, 3-0. Coming into the game, Boston had a lifetime record of 78-34-13-4 against Los Angeles.
Tuukka Rask made the start in goal for the Bruins in this game. Rask opposed Jonathan Quick, who was making his 24th appearance of the season for Los Angeles. Rask stopped all 41 shots he faced en route to his ninth career shutout.
"I was just trying to save every puck," said Rask. "I was not thinking about a shutout because I did not want to jinx anything."
At 6:32 of the first period, Rich Peverley put the Bruins on the board first by scoring his fifth goal of the season. Zach Hamill and Benoit Pouliot had the assists. The B's put heavy pressure on the Kings early, forcing them to play very unorganized and sloppy. The early pressure is what led to the goal. Boston finished the opening period 0-for-3 on the power play.
In the second period, Los Angeles picked up their game as they were able to put some pucks on net. The Bruins defense held strong when they had to kill off a five-on-three power play towards the end of the period. Rask made the key saves that kept the momentum on Boston's side.
"The defense played well without Zdeno," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien in regards to his changed line-up. "We spread the puck out well and all of the guys picked up the slack."
At 7:43, Brad Marchand scored his 10th goal of the season, buring a one-time shot immediately after Patrice Bergeron won the face-off cleanly back to him. Aside from the goal, the Kings controlled most of the puck. Los Angeles out-shot Boston 21-19 through the first 40 minutes.
Bergeron and Marchand would hook up yet again at 5:35 of the third period to produce the third Bruins goal of the game. Both players finished the game with two points each. The Kings continued to put more pressure on Rask and the B's defense but they did not play consistent enough the entire game to have a chance in this one.
"We had a great start to the game," said Marchand. "We came out strong and fought for the puck. The rest just kind of fell into place."
The Bruins next game will be on the road Wednesday night when they take on the Ottawa Senators.
Notes: Zdeno Chara (knee) and Gregory Campbell (foot) did not play in this game due to injuries. Chara is listed as day-to-day where the status of Campbell is unknown ... Zach Hamill was called up from Providence to center the fourth line, grabbing his 2nd assist in three career games with Boston this year ... Steven Kampfer replaced Chara on defense ... For the Kings, this was John Stevens' first game as a head coach, replacing former head coach Terry Murray on an interim basis.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Suffolk Voice News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SUFFOLK VOICE NEWS
RECENT THE SUFFOLK VOICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists