Name-brand vs. Drugstore Mascara
With a college budget, it's always a battle between the expensive name brands and the drugstore brands. Name brand mascaras have been constantly raved about in Youtube makeup guru videos, but do better results come with a price?
Three name brand mascaras were put to the test: Sephora, Benefit's "They're Real" and Dior's Diroshow.
The brush on Benefit's mascara has a rubber base with rubber fibers to separate the lashes and a tapered end to get the smaller lower and inner lashes. The first time I used this mascara I was impressed as my lashes nearly touched my upper lids every time I looked upwards.
On the downside, I was disappointed after some uses. Although the formula made my eyelashes super voluminous, I realized that throughout the day the curl on them started to fall.
A dupe of Benefit's "They're Real" Mascara would be L'Oreal's Voluminous Million Lashes. The brush on this mascara is verysimilar to that on Benefits mascara as it is also made of rubber.
On one day I wore Benefit's on one eye and L'Oreal's Mascara on the other and by the end of the day, my eyelashes with the Benefit's had dropped and my eyelashes with L'Oreal were still fully curled.
The upside on Benefit's mascara is that it does not flake at the end of the day while L'Oreal's does.
Dior's Diorshow mascara is one of those, as quoted by Sephora, "cult-followed mascaras" in the makeup world.
The best-of-the-best makeup guru's and bloggers on the Internet have this mascara. I felt like I was holding a legend when I purchased it.
There is nothing unique about the brush. The fibers and shape mimic many other types of mascara so I give the credit to the formula for this mascara's reputation.
However, I was not impressed with the results. Although they did make my eyelashes look much thicker, it was definitely not worth the expense.
I got close to the same results with Maybelline's Stiletto Mascara for less than half the price.
My Advice: don't be sucked in by name brands when it comes to mascaras. There are only so many types of formulas and brush shapes that can be invented. The key is to find which one works best with your eyelashes.
What is my favorite mascara? It definitely has to be L'Oreal's Voluminous Million Lashes. What will be my next mascara purchase? I've been dying to try L'Oreal's Telescopic Carbon Black mascara.
For more tips and makeup product reviews and photos check out Jessica's blog.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Suffolk Voice News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SUFFOLK VOICE NEWS
RECENT THE SUFFOLK VOICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists