Name-brand vs. Drugstore Mascara
With a college budget, it's always a battle between the expensive name brands and the drugstore brands. Name brand mascaras have been constantly raved about in Youtube makeup guru videos, but do better results come with a price?
Three name brand mascaras were put to the test: Sephora, Benefit's "They're Real" and Dior's Diroshow.
The brush on Benefit's mascara has a rubber base with rubber fibers to separate the lashes and a tapered end to get the smaller lower and inner lashes. The first time I used this mascara I was impressed as my lashes nearly touched my upper lids every time I looked upwards.
On the downside, I was disappointed after some uses. Although the formula made my eyelashes super voluminous, I realized that throughout the day the curl on them started to fall.
A dupe of Benefit's "They're Real" Mascara would be L'Oreal's Voluminous Million Lashes. The brush on this mascara is verysimilar to that on Benefits mascara as it is also made of rubber.
On one day I wore Benefit's on one eye and L'Oreal's Mascara on the other and by the end of the day, my eyelashes with the Benefit's had dropped and my eyelashes with L'Oreal were still fully curled.
The upside on Benefit's mascara is that it does not flake at the end of the day while L'Oreal's does.
Dior's Diorshow mascara is one of those, as quoted by Sephora, "cult-followed mascaras" in the makeup world.
The best-of-the-best makeup guru's and bloggers on the Internet have this mascara. I felt like I was holding a legend when I purchased it.
There is nothing unique about the brush. The fibers and shape mimic many other types of mascara so I give the credit to the formula for this mascara's reputation.
However, I was not impressed with the results. Although they did make my eyelashes look much thicker, it was definitely not worth the expense.
I got close to the same results with Maybelline's Stiletto Mascara for less than half the price.
My Advice: don't be sucked in by name brands when it comes to mascaras. There are only so many types of formulas and brush shapes that can be invented. The key is to find which one works best with your eyelashes.
What is my favorite mascara? It definitely has to be L'Oreal's Voluminous Million Lashes. What will be my next mascara purchase? I've been dying to try L'Oreal's Telescopic Carbon Black mascara.
For more tips and makeup product reviews and photos check out Jessica's blog.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Suffolk Voice News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SUFFOLK VOICE NEWS
RECENT THE SUFFOLK VOICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge